Polls closed.

I just wanted some quick opinions so I’ve closed the polls now. The consensus tended to lean towards the same answers anyway.

You mainly preferred I use Master and keep Jewel as female. Those were also my preferences as well but thanks for the input.

38 thoughts on “Polls closed.

1. Grabbler

No guy will name himself Jewel 😀 As for skills – it should be enough to comment on ‘Master’ being the last skill tier and leave it at that.
    Tyvm for your translations btw. Both high speed and high quality is a rare thing. Keep up your good work )

1. blackandredturtle Post author

No because Jewel’s appearance was never described. The only description is that she was wearing a robe and mask. So I based the gender on her name. But other people are convinced that she’s male because the author normally describes any females that appear. That’s why I’ve been confused.

1. Schion

I see, then maybe you should just stick to calling Jewel a female? cause no one is sure if Jewel is either a male or female so why not wait till a later chapter to see if the author clarifies this

2. weakwithwords

I’m several volumes behind so I don’t even know who Jewel is. ^^’ Some authors intentionally make characters that are androgynous. Some of those stories end without us ever really knowing. (In anime, it’s common enough to use female seiyuu to voice male characters which also sometimes leads to this kind of confusion.)

It’s not comfortable or easy to write such nuances in English because the language lacks a gender-neutral third person singular pronoun that people are willing to use when referring to humans.

In the Heroes of M&M game, the 4th level is “Master”. In Mushoku Tensei, that 4th level is “Saint”.

3. kail

how about you use androgynous word (like: “that person”, or simply saying her/his name) instead of using his or her.

2. wesleyhallan

I guess master is better than High grade, thats most similar to our mmorpg, and sounds better. As for jewel, i guess she is a girl, I don’t see a guy using that kind of nickname on a game.

3. Red Skelton

Master rank is pretty well known to be very high level rank in fantasy games and books. Also, I’d feel it made more sense for Jewel to be female, since the name is a female name.

4. Critchard Ratchel

Anyone else thinks his skills suck, actually game itself was made with legendary kind of difficulty for hardcore gamers. I’m sure if you played RPG’s you wouldn’t be overjoyed with items that give +10% something, you would be anxious to replace that trash with something better 😄

1. Cuz I'm Batman

It depends on what it is. If it is attack damage, defense, mana, etc. then 10% is pretty badass. In some of the games I played, even 2% to a basic stat made a huge difference at the higher levels. 10% may be negligible if you are low level, but once the level is high enough, then it becomes a game changer. For example, 10% to attack damage will be nothing if the base attack damage is 5-7, but if it is 220-250, then +10% would make it 242-275. pretty big deal.

1. Trash

10% in WoW, GW2, FFXIV from just one item/skill, excluding buff and things, is kinda godly.

The yggdrasil seed (or something) that Ark has gives +10% flat success rate. In the viewpoint of something that has 1% success rate, that means +1000%.

If your game is ‘give me more numbers!’ game like Disgaea, of course 10% is nothing.

2. Critchard Ratchel

my game? I’m talking in general, Cuz I’m Batman said in the beginning 10% doesn’t mean much but later it makes a difference..why would have the same level of enhacment from the beginning of the game trough the whole game,if you get at lv1 a sword atk 10 and a ring +10% atk, isn’t normal that at lv60 you get sword atk 100 and a ring +100% atk?

5. TooBeefy

Tho its not common, Jewel is also used as a MALE name. Yeah, my classmate back then is named Jewel and yes he’s a guy.

And I prefer Jewel to be HE

1. slzr

yeah man even if the autor didn’t explaine who is jewel. when i see the caractere evrytime i’m prety sur it’s a boy and i’m confused because there is she xdd but who care ? like some people say in anime a caractere male can look like a female and u will never find out if it’s a girl or a boy xdd

6. stips

I also agree that Jewel is more likely to be female. As for the last skill advancement it should be either master or expert, imo master has a better feel to it.
    Btw. thnx for all the translations, we all appreciate it.

7. braiamp

I presume that the author prefers Jewel to be of undetermined genre, since the character goes out of its way to hide its characteristics (the only other mask wearing character is Shambala), so it’s up to anyone interpretation which genre Jewel is (to much dismay for english speakers). Anyways, the wiki (spoilers) doesn’t specify either, through by speech pattern it should be guessable.

1. 4headtiger

If you mean when they went into the battle arena place; everyone was wearing a mask except for Ark (Ark transformed into a wolf because he was basically the only person in the building who wasn’t wearing a mask).

1. braiamp

Jewel is still wearing a mask, in Silvana it was wearing a mask and when arriving to the netherworld.

8. Kurogami

I think the last rank of skills as Master is so…..generic. I think something in the direction of Divine or something like that is more appropriate.

9. basher515

I think you should use Beginner – Intermediate – Advanced – Master on Skills, then use the Highest Grade on quality of tools/items/loot/armor, like the one the Pills? That makes more sense IMO.

As for Jewel, I’d prefer that she’s female. More variety of female characters on the story is nice, and besides, it’d be awkward to change it to male, as we’d all know that she was a female on the translation ever since she got introduced on the arena.

10. wes174

i dont really mind jewel being called a girl but by the way jewel talks it atleast sounds like its a he. before this post i was actually surpised every time when the reminder came that jewel was a she.

11. Cuz I'm Batman

I haven’t had any reason to think Jewel might not be female, so Jewel is female. In fact, if Jewel turns out to be a dude, I’m gonna riot.

12. Kuro

Master is good for the class, and for Jewel, if it turns out to be a guy, I think the author meant for his name to be “Jules” not Jewels, but for now since we’re uncertain, keep it as if she was a female.

13. Prestige Worldwide

Random subject: It bothers me that everytime Ark wins or beats an antagonist, the author gives them an upgrade automatically to keep them relevant. Ark achieves total victory/revenge over Alan and all the sudden instead of facing consequences he is basically promoted for losing and hating Ark. Then Ark beats/tricks the Pioneers, who died once and are facing death again, and the Red Man shows up to save them.
    Alan and the Pioneers will show back up later after becoming OPed. The game must really like losers. I can see the slogan now-
    ARE YOU A SECRETLY A BAD GUY?! HAVE YOU BEEN BEATEN OR TRICKED LATELY BY SOMEONE YOU UNJUSTLY PLOTTED AGAINST?! WE HAVE JUST THE THING FOR YOU!! HERE, TAKE THIS HIDDEN CLASS JOB OR JOIN UP WITH THE MOST OP SECRET FINAL BOSS/USER!!

1. Falinmer

I think that this is happening because Ark’s actions directly contradict the Red Man, but he can’t spend time focusing on Ark, and as such he is recruiting and powering up (even if indirectly) people who want Ark dead so he can focus on his job and use them as homing missiles.

14. Jodong

Hi, I just wanted to sincerely thank you guys for translating Ark past what was previously available and for your continued work. ❤

15. Kairav

I never thought Jewel was a female. Interesting that others assumed that due to the name. Anyways, in hopes of a better understanding, I found the following site and used machine translations to understand the Jewel (Jyureu) character summary. The interpretation here is masculine.